Wednesday 10 December 2014

Don't Stop Believin'

gopixpic.com
I HAD a brief internal struggle with something recently.  Nothing too major, life altering or important but for me it was the principle of the thing. 

I was caught up in a will I or won’t I debacle? I knew I should and that I’d be raging with myself if I didn’t.  But at the same time I was fearful of appearing greedy and needy.

So I let it sit for a while and mulled it over.  I have a habit of acting on impulse.  I get a message from someone and I answer immediately – “that sounds great!  Let’s do that.”  Or “sure, I can do that,” and then discover it doesn’t suit either me or my timetable and I’m suddenly caught up in something that morphs from something enjoyable and into a complete stress fest.

So I try to rein myself in a little.  And I’m glad I did because I managed to compose a short, to the point request without appearing whingey, needy or “gimmie goddammit” and sat back to see what the response would be.

I suppose I should explain a bit. I’ve been working at something for a while now and it has, for the most part, been positively received but with no real [monetary] value placed on it.  

For me anyway. 

That had always been the understanding between parties and initially I was okay with that.  We all have to start somewhere.

Then things picked up a notch and in times of drought, I was asked to contribute a bit more.  I was pleased to have been asked.  I can deliver.  I’m good at meeting deadlines and I enjoy it.

But it started to rankle.  A little at first and then a lot.

If I can come up with the goods at the last minute (and before deadline) surely I’ve proved my worth.

So I took the bull by the horns, gently, sent off that message and waited.

Guess what?  I got a lovely and favourable response that made me very very glad I had stuck my neck out there, took the bull by the horns and just went for it.

If you don’t ask you won’t get, as the saying goes. 

So I asked and I got.  Not a lot but it’s still more than I had in the first place.

And it has also given me a little boost and encouraged me to quit the quitting thoughts and keep going for another while.

That in itself has to be something.

   

6 comments:

  1. well done and well deserved - absolutely delighted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted for you. I'm all for making your name but it is most important to know your worth. Great news. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a lesson it took me a long time to "get" Tric! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete